The think is this the XPI that is generated can be installed only on Firefox
1.x as the format in which it is generated works only on that version. From
version 2.x the format of the XPI has changed. You can try the following
solution:

1. Unpack the XPI that works with Firefox 3.0.x and the newly created XPI
for Firefox 3.5
2. Make sure the structure i.e. folder structure is same as that for 3.0.x
XPI
3. Copy install.rdf file from 3.0.x XPI to 3.5 XPI. Open the file and change
the max version to 3.5+
4. Zip the 3.5.x folder
5. Rename it to .xpi

Let me know if that works.