The error would tend to indicate that whatever is trying to invoke
the .attach method is no longer pointing to an instance of a browser
object.   Although why that would be the case if the exact same code
executes fine on a different system is an interesting question.

You might want to check the 'protected mode' settings for the browser,
as that can cause IE to do things like spawn new browser sessions when
the security group on a called page is not the same as the current
page (and that includes the default page, or 'about:blank').  Server
2008 and Vista are very similar in that respect, but if the code was
designed and tested on a vista system where the 'protected mode' was
long ago turned off 'because it's a hassle' and the Server 2008 env is
fairly pristine (where the browser defaults to protectedmode being ON,
and highly discourages the user from disabling it) then it might
expain the behavior you are seeing.