You'll want to use Ruby 1.8.6 or 1.8.7. If you have true IE
modal_dialogs (called in the source as showModalDialog, ask your devs
if you use these) in your application then stick with 1.8.6, otherwise
1.8.7 seems to work for everything else.

You're close on the proxy settting, but skip the domain, this might help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4418/how-do-i-update-ruby-gems-from-behind-a-proxy-isa-ntlm


Charley Baker
Lead Developer, Watir, http://watir.com



On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:46 AM, sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install watir on a Windows XP PC. I could install ruby
> and check gem version as:
>
> C:\>gem -v
> 1.3.7
>
> #Next I tried:
>
> C:\>gem update --system
>
> #I got the below response:
>
> Updating RubyGems
> ERROR:  http://rubygems.org/ does not appear to be a repository
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>    SocketError: getaddrinfo: No such host is known.  (http://
> rubygems.org/yaml)
>
> #My Ruby version shown is:
>
> C:\>ruby -v
> ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18) [i386-mingw32]
>
> #Then I tried:
>
> C:\>gem update --system -p http://proxy.companyserver.com:8080
>
> #The response was:
>
> Updating RubyGems
> ERROR:  http://rubygems.org/ does not appear to be a repository
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>    bad response Proxy Authentication Required ( The ISA Server
> requires authori
> zation to fulfill the request. Access to the Web Proxy filter is
> denied.  ) 407
> (http://rubygems.org/yaml)
>
> #Then I tried:
> C:\>gem update --system -p 
> http://domain\user:[email protected]:8080
>
> #The response was:
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OptionParser::InvalidArgument)
>    invalid argument: -p 
> http://domain\user:[email protected]:8080
>
> #Normally I specify domain\username while loggin to the proxy for
> internet. Is "\" a problem?
> #My password has special character #. Is this any issue?
> #I went through many posts on watir installation but could not find
> one that totally matches this error. Please guide. I am new to ruby/
> watir.
>
> --
> Before posting, please read http://watir.com/support. In short: search before 
> you ask, be nice.
>
> [email protected]
> http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general
> [email protected]
>

-- 
Before posting, please read http://watir.com/support. In short: search before 
you ask, be nice.

[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general
[email protected]

Reply via email to