I like the overall idea, though there are a few ways you could better
adhere to the Material Design guidelines that I think might improve the
app's look and feel.  Namely:

   - Make the user avatars (and avatar placeholders) circles instead of
   squares, or at least give them a little bit of padding so their visual
   weight is not so disproportionately high.  Also, Android in general has
   moved in the direction of circular cropping for profile pictures.
   - Have the app bar and floating action button “float above” (have a
   higher z-value) than the other content so the FAB catches the user's eye.
   - Use a more simple wave icon on the reply bar so it is less visually
   busy, or maybe swap it for a reply icon since that is really the function
   the user is going to perform there.

You may also wish to make your back button and “Sign up” button more
consistent with other Material apps, but that is just nitpicking.  Overall
these seem like pretty good designs, and I look forward to seeing them
implemented in an app :)

Zachary Yaro