> +     /* Look up the appropriate locale, or use "C" as default */
> +     locale = getenv("LC_ALL");
> +     if (!locale)
> +             locale = "C";

Is there a reason why you decided not to use the "full" procedure, i.e.
also try LC_CTYPE and LANG?

> +     /* Set up XKB compose table */
> +     compose_table =
> xkb_compose_table_new_from_locale(input->display->xkb_context,
> +                                                       locale,
> +
> XKB_COMPOSE_COMPILE_NO_FLAGS);
> +     if (!compose_table) {
> +             fprintf(stderr, "could not create XKB compose table for locale
> '%s'\n", locale);
> +             xkb_state_unref(state);
> +             xkb_keymap_unref(keymap);
> +             return;
> +     }

In my opinion, it would be better to proceed without compose, than to
fail the entire setup. If, for example, the compose files are not
available, then it's OK to just skip it. The alternative is that the
window does not show up at all (I assume).

Ran