I've lived in North Carolina almost ten years now and have yet to meet a person
that has ever heard of salt risin' bread, much less eaten it.  (Maybe it's
because I live in Raleigh, and ol' Barn can tell you about the hectic night
life here!  I'll bet my head doesn't hit the pillow until 9:30 at night!)
But I was born and raised in West Virginia, and toasted salt risin' bread with
a smear of butter on it was a real treat.  Up there, we could find it in just
about any store.
Maybe it's like ramps - a regional delicacy.

Paul in Raleigh,
Just down the street from the 'Y'