I noticed this door also and it is only there in a few episodes in the first
season.
I think it goes away about the time the mystery door in the courthouse goes
away.
I would think that during the first season they did very little with the sets
since they probably didn't know if the show was going to be a hit or not but by
the end of the first season they realized it was going to be ok and they did a
lot of remodeling between seasons to tidy things up a bit to make the exteriors
and interiors match up a little better.

Dapper Dan
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!