Thanks to everyone who wrote to tell me how we know Andy was in France!
Regarding his comment to Peggy over dinner, perhaps Andy's military unit
(presuming he was indeed in the military) was in France, but never in Paris.
And perhaps his comment to Peggy was more one of surprise that she, a
civilian, had been to Europe, since he probably assumed that other than
soldiers, only the very wealthy traveled abroad. Then he got distracted
telling the story about when Barney and he tried to make it to New Orleans.
-a deceitful wretch hiding out in Oxford, Ohio (the Nashville of the North)