In a message dated 12/17/2010 11:32:22 A.M. Central Standard Time,
wbmutbb-requ...@wbmutbb.com writes:

I think  the problem with showing brand names on TV is self-explanatory.?
Even on  Public Television Stations the names of products weren't shown -
apparently  the people who sponsored the programs didn't like the idea of
showing another  firm's brand name unless they were paid advertisements.?

That's close, but I'm not sure that's totally it.  Sure, Post  executives
probably didn't want to see a box of Cap'n Crunch on the Taylor  breakfast
table, but I think the issue runs deeper than that.

I think it's more of a question of plugola.  Some advertisers often
slipped money or merchandise under the table to reward someone for giving their

product a free plug.  It was really bad in the 1950s with radio DJs but it
even ran rampant on the set of "Late Show With David Letterman" in the 1980s,
 with Dave giving the network headaches by boasting on the air whenever a
firm  gave out freebies (like Eskimo Pie for instance).

So it wasn't a sponsor issue as much as it was a legal issue as well as
ethical.

And if you look now, prominent logo placements that are paid for are now
disclosed in the closing credits (like "The Office," for instance).  In  fact
I suspect the Ford reference in the closing credits of TAGS was itself a
product placement disclosure requirement.

Dixon