I have enjoyed two visits to Mayberry Days over the past several years.  Mt.
Airy is 1,560 miles from my house, so it's not always an easy trek.   However,
sometimes I've been able to stop there when my wife visits her aunt nearby.
Some of my favorite Mayberry moments have been these off-season, non-festival
times when the streets of Mt. Airy have been quiet and I've been able to roam
and explore the nooks, crannies, and backdoor alleys of Andy's hometown haunts.
 I've randomly met some fascinating people this way, sometimes even a friend or
two of Andy's.

On one of these special days, I was all alone with the curator in the Andy
Griffith Museum (the old location), studying every item with utmost interest
and focus.  With camera dangling from my neck, the museum's curator reminded me
very kindly that this was the personal collection of Emmett Forrest and
photography was not allowed.   No more than five minutes later, the museum's
door was flung open and a gentleman entered with friendly enthusiasm.    The
curator spoke with him a couple of minutes then asked if I would like to meet
Emmett Forrest.   I am usually a shy person, but Emmette immediately drew me
into a cordial conversation that I'll never forget.  He seemed impressed that I
would travel such a distance on my TAGS pilgrimage.   I was not a stranger to
him.   Next thing I knew, I was hearing Emmett explaining to both the curator
and myself that he was authorizing my use of photography for anywhere and
anything in the museum.  It was a special act of trust and friendship that has
been a long-lived hallmark of the Mayberry Spirit, but I had never before
experienced it so up close.  Beyond that surprise encounter, Emmett and I
exchanged e-messages a couple of times, and I would never forget the day when
he offered his fabulous museum collection to the camera of an unknown friend.

I am very sad that we have lost so many of our Mayberry ancestors, and now
especially mourn the death of Emmett Forrest.

Larry in CO