Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 17:55:46 +0000 (UTC)
From: eric swolgaard <eric4...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:eric4...@sbcglobal.net>>
To: wbmutbb <wbmutbb@wbmutbb.com<mailto:wbmutbb@wbmutbb.com>>
Subject: Cyrano Andy

I just got done re-watching the episode "Cyrano Andy" and am puzzled by a
reference Thelma Lou made while Andy was visiting her and speaking up for a
girl-shy Barney. Thelma Lou asked if Andy was "playing John Alden(sp)" .
The only John Alden I found was a crew member of the Mayflower!
Any guesses?
Eric Swolgaard
Sacramento, CA

I put the bucket on my head and found this.  Maybe the episode should have been
titled "Andy Alden".

John Alden and Priscilla Mullins
One of the earliest romances in the American colonies
by David Johnson

Immortalized by Henry Wadsworth
Longfellow's<http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0830229.html> 1858 poem, The
Courtship of Miles Standish, John
Alden's<http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0803155.html> marriage to
Priscilla Mullins was one the earliest romances in the American colonies. While
the story is not verifiable, many experts do believe it in fact happened.
Alden and Mullins arrived on the
Mayflower<http://www.infoplease.com/spot/mayflower1.html> in 1630. Shortly
thereafter, Standish, "a blunt old captain, a man not of words but of actions,"
according to Longfellow, took a liking to Mullins, "the loveliest maiden of
Plymouth<http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0839407.html>."
However, although Standish was fearless in battle, he was too shy to confront
Mullins directly, so he sent his young friend, Alden. The soft-spoken Alden was
"Fair-haired, azure-eyed, with delicate Saxon complexion/Having the dew of his
youth, and the beauty thereof. . ."
After Alden had pleaded Standish's case, Mullins said, "Why don't you speak for
yourself, John?" It was clear that Alden and Mullins were in love, but the
couple was afraid of offending Standish. When they received word that the
captain had been killed fighting Indians, Alden and Mullins agreed to marry. At
the end of the wedding, Standish, who had not been killed after all, appeared,
and seeing what had transpired, gave the newlyweds his blessing and asked their
forgiveness for his previous behavior.
Alden and Mullins had 11 children and were among the founders of the town of
Duxbury, Massachusetts.

~Greg "Brilliant Barrister" Dunagan