We all regard TAGS as one long story, watching Opie grow up and folks age. We
know there is inconsistencies; i.e. Barney's service time, doors, windows and
other inanimate objects moving. But we have to consider there were a few dozen
script writers and there was no way all episodes would jive together.  Now, if
they were to suddenly have an episode where Barney is dating Helen and Andy
being married with no one asking "Wonder what causes that.", THAT would NOT be
continuity.

A quick search reveals there is much more to the job than keeping track of
someone's work record...... or the court house having the same address episode
after episode.

~~

Continuity editing is the process, in film and video creation, of combining
more-or-less related shots, or different components cut from a single shot,
into a sequence so as to direct the viewer's attention to a pre-existing
consistency of story across both time and physical location.

~~

And if you can make sense of that, more power to ya. LOL

Harriet, the chicken thief