At the end of "Barney's Physical", when he and Andy come out of the Civil
Service office weigh-in, they stop to talk in front of a building
directory, with names and room numbers on it. I'm wondering if those names
were a way for the director, or other cast or crew member, to get the names
of friends or relatives on the air. It seems too much of a coincidence that
Andy and Barney would stop in the hall right under the directory - the
scene would've worked fine even if the wall was blank.

While I'm at it, I'm also wondrin' why, in several episodes, characters
refer to somebody being "up in Raleigh", instead of "down in Raleigh", when
Mayberry (a/k/a/ Mount Airy, NC) is actually north and west of Raleigh?

Guess we'll never know the answer to either.

jOE SUSZCZYNSKI
Grand Island, NY

P.S.  Thelma - good point about the Fun Girls missing from "Return to
Mayberry" - that would've made a fun storyline.