Jan wrote:
What's weird is that when I clicked on the link, it opened a mini window
and that picture had the watermark on it. Just for curiosity, I right
clicked and saved the picture and there is no watermark on that one.
Don't you think the saved picture should have the watermark on it too?

Mary of Omaha responded (do any of you remember "Mutual of Omaha"???):
Well.... I was wondering the same thing myself! When I right clicked on
the actual article photo, ie; the smaller picture, my browser came back
with a "disabled" feature. (IE 6.0) So I saved the whole web page to my
hard to check the pic's!

It is strange that the smaller photo had no watermark Even in my
photoshop! I guess they feel that viewers are more likely to "steal" the
larger photos and copyright them as opposed to copyrighting the smaller
pictures?!!?! I thought it was an interesting topic for more discussion
here. Just some food for thought here!

Tim:
This is pretty much standard practice...the small thumbnails don't have
any watermarks, but are small enough and grainy enough that they're
essentially unusable in production.  The big versions are watermarked to
help prevent theft.  We ended up buying about 30 small pics for our
website (on the practice area pages); in most of those cases, we *could*
have used the free "comp" version of the images (small low-res ones
designed for page layout checking), but did the right thing and
purchased full versions of each one and shrunk them to the size we
wanted.  If you visit image sources like Getty, you'll see this all over
their site - small comp images with no watermarks, and the larger ones
with them.  Paying for them gets you a version without the watermark.

Tim <wondering if any of his old photos are worth US$30 a pop...>
Tim Furry
Web Developer
Foulston Siefkin LLP