Janet wrote:
When working with a small budget site, images are often hard to come by.
Most of my customers are not design-focused so it doesn't make any
difference to them-- but I would like to make my sites more
artistic/elegant/not sure of the right word--but I know it when I see
it!

I was just looking for a book or other resource that had samples of
well-designed/artistic (but very functional) sites to give me lots of
ideas that would spur my own creativity.

Tim:
Janet, I know exactly where you're at, and I'm in the same boat...I've
been looking for ideas to take our corporate site to the next level of
graphical appeal.  I'm not a designer by nature but know when something
is well-designed.  I think you're on the right trail - knowing what you
like is sometimes half the problem solved.  So far, I've decided that
images do contribute to the artistic/elegant site, but I've seen sites
without images that feel the same way through judicial use of color and
font.

Oddly, most of the law firm sites that received awards last year were
ugly as sin; it seemed that the one quality the reviewers looked for was
"news" - i.e., a bit of text or streaming stuff that gave the user the
impression that the site was fresh content every day (it wasn't, of
course).  Can you believe one law firm named their site
"http://www.mofo.com";?  That had our marketing director laughing on the
floor for several minutes.

I'll be following up on these suggestions; I'm wanting to learn this,
too.

Tim

Tim Furry
Web Developer