rudy wrote:
> who says a "document" has to be in a format that might contain some
worm or virus?

Dave followed with:
I just dump M$ Office completely and use OpenOffice, it'll still
open/save M$ Office files, but without the absolutely cretinous idea of
allowing executable code within a document.  Why, oh why, oh why does a
document need executable code (macros) in it?  The only exception would
be spreadsheets...

Tim submits a simple example:
Our law firm submits dozens of legal documents a day - some to clients,
some to the courts, some to other services and users.  These documents
are not always generated from scratch - otherwise, we'd have dozens of
secretaries sitting around pounding on dozens of word processors, making
dozens of mistakes in the process.  Many of the documents are built from
databases using "macros" or "executable code" simply because that's the
only cost-efficient way of doing so (and accuracy is paramount).
Moreover, many documents require change tracking as they're passed back
and forth between parties, and must be in a specified format (usually
some version of Word or WordPerfect).  These activities require
scripting that have access to resources (i.e. databases) outside of the
the document's sandbox.  While I'm not defending executable code in
documents as always appropriate, I do see it as a viable solution to
many business situations, particularly those that are tightly regulated.
I daresay if we were required to fill out two or three dozen electronic
forms for each website we build we'd be looking for ways to automate it.
:-)

Microsoft has always been about giving power to the user...power to
accomplish work, yes, but also power to wreck things if misused.  Users
need to be aware of that power and use it intelligently (uh, training?).
[story from my own experience]  Nobody blasts motorcycle companies for
building and selling crotch rockets, yet every day stupid kids die on
them doing stupid stuff.  I ride an older motorcycle, carefully, well
within the limits of the law, and yet last November still ended up with
a broken wrist due to someone else's negligence.  Power =
responsibility.  You don't always need that much power...that's where
the market makes room for other solutions, like OpenOffice.  Or vi.  :-)

Tim

Tim Furry
Web Developer
Foulston Siefkin LLP