I find this discussion interesting. I do not consider myself a programmer
because I do not like to write programs. I can and do write code though
given a choice I'd rather use something already written or give that part of
a project to someone who likes to write code.

I took one programming class back in 1975 using "basic". Then didn't touch
it again until I started writing HTML back in 93-94. Even then it wasn't
"programming" but "formatting" using HTML.

By 98-99 I wanted to do some database/server side stuff so I took a class
called something like "Intro to ASP for the Non-Programmer" followed by a
"Beginning ASP" class. I have worked with Access both on and off the web and
learned enough SQL for my needs. Later I had a client that wanted a calendar
"just like in Access" so I used Visual Basic.NET. Unlike my partner who is a
programmer I had very little problems going from Vbscript to the object
oriented VB.NET because I did not have preconceptions of how VB was supposed
to work. This maybe the source of some of BJ's misgivings about his ability
to deal with object oriented programming. Yet, once BJ gets over the
frustration about the different code model he'll be productive quickly.

I do not write C# or PHP but I can recognized the function and structure so
with the type of code reference that BJ mentioned I can get a task done it
if primarily relates to editing code or adding a bit of functionality in
either of those languages. That's where BJ's statements caught my eye.

I do not consider myself a programmer but someone with enough familiarity
with programming to function. On this list my abilities when it comes to
programming are trivial compared to those like BJ, Rudy and other to
numerous to mention. On other lists server code questions get thrown to me
as the "expert" because the majority know even less than I do. Along the way
I have picked enough "programming" that while I do not consider myself a
programmer other who I work with do.

Knowing enough to recognize and follow someone else's code is all I ever
wanted to know and I do not ever wish to write programs whether for the web
or use on a desktop/server from scratch. Frankly, it amazes me that I can
look at C# and "see" how it works/breaks when I have never worked with C#
and have no desire to do so.  In some ways I find it quite depressing
because I end up doing more programming than I care to do because I can and
not because I want to.

Cheryl D. Wise
Certified Professional Web Developer
MS-MVP-FrontPage