Code in the page is like classic asp. While code behind is in a separate
page and linked to the page via an asp @page declaration:

<%@ Page Language="vb" Codebehind="week21a.aspx.vb"
Inherits="testdeploy2.WebForm2"%>

In theory it makes code reuse easier. Difficult to work with unless you are
using an IDE that supports codebehind like Visual Studio.NET. Current
version sucks for web development but the 2005 version (Whidbey) is a big
improvement.

Its biggest advantage as far as I'm concerned is that if you have a designer
and developer working together the designer doesn't have to even see much
less be able to mess up the code when working on the page.

There is a beta of the lite version for web development available at
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

FWIW, the .NET framework is a web standard approved by the ... (argh I hate
when I blank out on something as I go to say/write it). Anyway, there are
implementation for Linux (http://go-mono.org) and FreeBSD/Mac OS X
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3A1C93FA-7462-47D0
-8E56-8DD34C6292F0&displaylang=en or http://tinyurl.com/9onm) the latter is
a Shared Source release funded by Microsoft and produced in conjunction with
Berkley. (Fortunately on that site they mentioned the certifying standards
body EMCA so I can put that in now.)

Cheryl D. Wise
Certified Professional Web Developer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP