Jon Haworth wrote:

There's a program called "Sound Recorder" somewhere on the Start menu (or
Start > Run > sndrec32 if you can't find it). This is fine for your purposes
and will create a WAV audio file containing whatever comes in from the mic
input. If you like, you can clean up the audio with a program like Cool
Edit.

Only problem with "Sound Recorder" is that it defaults to either a 60 or 90 second maximum for the recording (I forget which)... you can change it, but it's a nuisance... Cool Edit's been bought by Adobe and is now Adobe Audition and is priced new at $299.

My suggestion would be to do the actual recording with Audacity[1], a free sound recorder / editor / converter with lots of useful features, which is under very active development in the Open Source community. Other than that, follow the directions Jon gave :)

hth,
Stephen

[1] http://audacity.sourceforge.net/