Deb:

Firewire is Firewire at the end of the day - the different ends to the cable are just to fit different sizes of devices (same as the mini USB2 connectors you get on cameras and phones - it's still USB2) so in theory you should be OK.

In terms of speed, USB 2.0 is a little faster than Firewire 400 in pure data rate (460Mbps) but from what I can recall (and it's still the holiday season so correct me if the alcohol is talking here) USB 2.0 runs data transmissions serially so everything connected to the USB channel has to share the bandwidth. Firewire runs parallel connections so it can serve 400Mbps to each connection, but it can't run as many at once as USB (hence USB is more popular).

The biggie here is that I don't think Firewire can downgrade its connection speeds like USB 2.0 can: you can plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 socket and it will still run, just at a fraction of the speed. From my experiences in the office, you can't get a Firewire 800 device to function at all in a Firewire 400 socket.

This is the only reason I can think of why you can't get an external Firewire drive to work in your existing Firewire setup as I've had no problem using different cables and plug converters in the Firewire kit at home and work.

Have a good New Year you lot!

MOU

___________________________________________________________ All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of [EMAIL PROTECTED]@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

____ � The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM � ____