How are the links to the items structured? Are they all unique?

I've got the menu links, which are all to folder /shop/ which is easy to do
the index.html trick Robert mentioned, but the product links around the site
look like this:

http://secured.domain.org/shop/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpmrepm8

The site is on is a Windows 2000 Server.

If there isn't a quick fix script, I suppose what I could do is do a simple
search and replace with my editor that changes all the links from /shop/ to
/shopdown/. That'd bring them to a 404 easily, and then I can do a search
and replace to bring it back. Bunch of file uploads, but at least not having
to handwork every single link.

Sound sane to you, or do you think there's an easier way?

Alida

If so
(and you're using Apache to host the website), you could use
mod_rewrite and redirect all requests for items to a single page
stating the shop is closed.  If not, then you have a choice (these are
all using Apache coz it's what I know, however I'm sure that someone
here could help you do something similar if you use a legacy windows
system):

1) rename the page that displays items and the index page for the
shop, then use .htaccess to display a custom 404 stating that the shop
is closed
2) Use some kind of regex foo to grep the links in every page and
remove them automatically
3) manually remove the links from every page.

Hope this helps, if you want any more advice or any further details,
feel free to ask.

Cheers,