I'd concur to a degree that an all-Flash site is probably not the way to go for most clients, especially if you have to learn Flash as you go, but on a personal level I would actively encourage you to dive and give it a go because Flash is a long way away from the "fancy intro and overkill animation" monstrosity everybody loved to hate a few years back, and if put into the right hands it really is flipping the bird to a lot of its critics and naysayers:

• Actionscript is built on the same ECMA spec as Javascript so you can jump in and figure a lot out quickly if you have any previous JS experience • Flash accessibility with version 8 covers a good deal of bases (Flash 9 is set to be even better) and doesn't seem to be too hard once you know your way around Flash (although I've not had time to have a proper go at it yet) • It's more than just "pretty" - data-driven and data-heavy applications are just as viable as animations (I'm adding the finishing touches to a v1 Flash-PHP content management system as we speak and I'm pretty excited to be honest!) • Flash video kicks the crap out of any other web video format not only in terms of quality and file sizes, but also ease of delivery - no codecs to worry about it's all delivered through the Flash Player • Google can read and index Flash content if you create it properly (and there are rumours that Yahoo! is close to doing it too)

To be entirely honest, I don't have a problem with all-Flash sites and similar rich media experiences and it's not going to be very long before all these accessibility and SEO problems are going to be worked out. And when it's viable, everybody's going to want them. It was the same with Flash intros - everybody wanted them because "they look cool" and "everybody else has them" - so I say get a head start.

And don't both with anything other than the full, real-deal Flash. Personally, I really don't like these Flash-content creators as they always seem to be one-trick ponies, geared purely towards animation or rudimentary interactivity with no control of what happens under the hood (Adobe LiveMotion anybody?) aimed at the bottom end of web "designers" who think because they can type words into FrontPage they are "professional". Flash 9's out pretty soon and under £328 for the standard Flash 8 is good value I reckon (and £575 for the Professional aint bad either).

Yeah, I like Flash :P

MOU

___________________________________________________________ Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

____ � The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM � ____