> On 6 Jan 2016, at 09:19, Aymeric Augustin
> <aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Benoît,
>
> Thanks for clarifying that you also had the reverse problem in mind, headers
> sent by applications. This side is less problematic in the sense that
> application authors can adapt to stronger requirements.
>
> In general this is a bit of a mess due to differences between what the RFC
> 2616 says and what browsers do in practice. That’s why I believe the
> pragmatic solution is to exchange bytes. (This isn’t a major issue in the
> grand scheme of things anyway.)
>
> Best regards,

Folks, just a reminder: RFC 2616 is dead. RFC 7230 says that *newly defined*
header fields should limit their field values to US-ASCII, but older header
fields are a crapshoot (though it notes that “in practice, most” header field
values use US-ASCII).

Regardless, it seems to me that the correct method of communicating field
values would have been byte strings.

Cory