i have an (untested) idea...plugging together a few things i have used
before....

 - you could create templates of field sets using handlebars:
http://handlebarsjs.com/  then you can via JS add them to the page based on
user interaction.
 - you can use hidden fields to provide some meta data on the form.
 - remembering that in your controller you define your SQLFORM *before* you
process it, you could check for the presence of your hidden fields in
request.vars, and based on their values initialize your SQLFORM to match
the sub-forms that were added to the form.  then when you call .process it
will check all those fields as well.

i don't know if that is a great idea or not (we recently solved this
problem at my workplace but i think ended up using handlebars and manual
form processing)....it's a thought we considered and still might try!

christian