On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM, howesc <how...@umich.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Alec, that will be a nice contribution.
>
> re my "special odd pain in the rear-end" login flow.....well we (the
> engineers) failed to sell that to the business.  users can make purchases
> via apple without a proper logged in account, and we need to track those on
> the server.  hence the anonymous user.  it would be really nice if apple
> shared with us the itunes user ID on app launch, but they don't because they
> believe that violates the user's privacy (and i kinda agree on that point).
> So i'm stuck with an overly complex login flow. :(
>
> cfh

How do you differentiate between different anonymous users?

Are you looking at MAC address or other related IDs?

It sounds to me that that's still an open problem. And that not
generating any ID but storing data in LocalStorage (or a cookie; or
whatever else: locally) would be the most secure way of confirming
accountability.

Given an e-commerce scenario; on checkout the anonymous user would
submit their entire LocalStorage; which obviously includes cart. Their
shipping details and whatnot would include an email address, so create
them that profile; log them in; and email them their randomly
generated password.

#problem=solved