I use apache and mod_passenger (Scientific Linux 6.x / EPEL) on a couple of
high traffic web2py apps, works like a charm. Passenger is really neat, I'm
testing an unified solution that provides python, nodejs and ruby support
with seamless passtrough for PHP / HTML / static files.

Apart of configuring apache / passenger, the only thing needed on web2py
side was to use wsgihandler.py, renamed as passenger_wsgi.py.

So, I would say this is a configuration issue... But I'm not sure what's
theproblem. @Krzysztof,
when you say you've put all web2py files within the folder, expected by
passenger, did you omit the top web2py directory? The structure should be
simply:

top_passenger_dir/
  applications
  deposit