On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 11:08:09 AM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

> Discourse seems really nice... It represents a lot of work... But as a
> "proof of concept" I think we should considering to use our own tool
> (web2py) to create our own mailing-list... Could we "seriously" be able to
> manage our own list and write our own app for this? This is a big undertake
> and maintenance contract...

Although open source, Discourse is developed by a commercial enterprise
(they offer hosting), and so it represents a substantial amount of
development effort (though perhaps a web2py version could get a head start
by using the Discourse Ember.js front end and attempting to replicate the
Rails back end -- but if making a near exact copy, why bother?). For
someone, perhaps developing a commercially-backed web2py-based alternative
to Discourse would be worthwhile (though probably tough competition), but
for the web2py core developers, I think the time might be better spent on
(a) further developing web2py, (b) developing plugins and re-usable apps
for web2py, and (c) web3py.

Anthony