You need to download this template, unzip the contents and copy all the -
 .js files in \static\js
.css files \static\css
images to \static\images
you need to take backup of original layout and put your sbadmin2 file in
views\ as layout.html
(remove unwanted sections in this file. Keep what is relevant)

copy\create appropriate folders for other libraries being used by this
template
in static folder (Ex: less, fonts, scss and others)

to make it work, you need to change the file paths appropriately according
to web2py conventions. This should help you make it work.
I am using it for one of my projects and it works like a charm (also on
latest web2py) I am planning to migrate a few other projects to use it as
well.

Cheers, Rahul D.