Everything you mentioned seems easy enough with Web2py.  Do you have any
experience in web development or with Python?  Web2py could definitely do
everything you want, but there are other options as well depending on if
you have experience with anything specific.  I find Python to be the most
intuitive language (in a broad sense), so even if you don't have
experience, this might be a good place for you to start.

Web2py comes bundled with a bunch of functionality that should really
benefit your project, but I highly recommend reading the book before
starting anything (I know it can be a lot all at once, but a quick, light
reading will help immensely with finding answers to any future problems).
 http://www.web2py.com/book

As for additional software, how granular do you mean?  You'll need to
deploy to some sort of server.  The best two options are PythonAnywhere or
Google App Engine.  GAE is intimidating at first, but has some significant
benefits (massive scalability, almost zero DB upkeep), whereas
PythonAnywhere is a good, free way to get started just to see if you're
really going to enjoy Web2py.

Web2py comes with bootstrap, but I find that to be cumbersome and poorly
designed (styles should be fully defined in CSS, not in HTML (col-md-6 is a
style element, not a class)).  I prefer using the lightweight Jeet (with
Rupture) and Axis (though Axis buttons can lose some styling on iOS
devices).  I also use Jade to make HTML look much more pleasant (it also
forces you to follow good programming habits in HTML).

If you want even more granular, Atom is the best software for where you're
actually going to be spending your time.  Some people will argue
differently, but it's only because they haven't tried it or have some
extremely esoteric way of doing things that they learned from an old
system.  Atom is open source and EXTREMELY customizable.  I have 25 add-ons
for it that make it a coding beast.

I've got a script I wrote for myself to get Web2py 99% functioning on GAE
with an Ubuntu VM dev environment from a fresh OSX install if that would
help you.  It's a bit raw (doesn't actually run yet, I just use it for
reference), but I could post it if it would help.