Are you using 2.14.1 beta?

I would try to get it running without changes before making changes (unless
you have a need to get it running on an old version of web2py).  As Massimo
pointed out, it's not necessarily backward compatible but other than
removing host_names (which I already did in the repo) I don't see why it
wouldn't work on an older version (I also had to remove formstyle from
appconfig to support an older version).

I just installed a clean version using
git clone https://github.com/mjbeller/web2py-starter.git starter
into 2.14.1 beta (actually current master) and then accessed
/initialize/adminuser <http://127.0.0.1:8000/starter2/initialize/adminuser>
to setup Admin user and auth_groups and everything worked fine.

I'm still getting an odd error on 2.13.x which I can't figure out but I'm
content to move forward with just 2.14.1