In my case I didn't activate server side processing, I instead reduce the
length of the dataset to be displayed by year slicing... I had buttons to
specify which years of data the user wants and an "All" button with a
notice it could be long to load... It has reduce the load time of the
page...

Someone can also, improve speed by not using pydal and instead make a raw
sql query bypassing all the pyDAL parsing of records and dictionnary
creation (db.table.fieldname) which are costy... You then rely on python
slicing to get you data column by colomn...