Thanks Massimo and I will be very interested to try a Vue.js example.

In the meantime,  I have experimented with Datatables some more.  I wrote
my own sql and used executesql and then fed the entire resultset all at
once into Datatables.  My rows are in the hundreds rather than thousands,
but the usability of the app was totally transformed.  Once loaded,  which
is also very fast,  the table responds instantly and searches and sorting
are brilliant.  I just use a SQLFORM to add/edit records.  My staff almost
cheered when they saw the new version,  and that underlines how frustrated
they must have been with the old one.

I know this may sound too critical of the grid,  as some obviously think it
only exists for prototyping.  However,  we also need this kind of thing to
work properly in production too.  IMO if a good usable method isn't
available in web2py,  we should at least have an 'official' recipe using
another recommended component.

Best regards.