I would have thought so, but it fails !!!  What am I missing?

about as basic as can be -
a plain 2-line vanilla python app  (with a running mysql db, created with
the same  "db = DAL('mysql://root:password@localhost/mfm_curr_lib',
pool_size = 10) "  and accessed happily by the web2py app)

from pydal import DAL, Field

db = DAL('mysql://root:password@localhost/mfm_curr_lib', pool_size = 10)

     … produces

RuntimeError: 'Failure to connect, tried 5 times:\nTraceback (most recent
call last):\n File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pydal/base.py", line
455, in __init__\n self._adapter = adapter(**kwargs)\n File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pydal/adapters/__init__.py", line 40, in
__call__\n obj = super(AdapterMeta, cls).__call__(*args, **kwargs)\n File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pydal/adapters/base.py", line 373, in
__init__\n super(SQLAdapter, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)\n File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pydal/adapters/base.py", line 50, in
__init__\n self.find_driver()\n File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pydal/adapters/base.py", line 101, in
find_driver\n str(self.drivers))\nRuntimeError: No driver of supported ones
(\'MySQLdb\', \'pymysql\', \'mysqlconnector\') is available\n'

module body in mfm_media_model.py at line 63

db = DAL('mysql://root:password@localhost:3306/mfm_curr_lib/', pool_size =
10)

function __call__ in base.py at line 170

obj = super(MetaDAL, cls).__call__(*args, **kwargs)

function __init__ in base.py at line 475