There is some example script here which may help with the idea - both a
setup for countries and subdivisions with Ajax and also a couple of range
controls for urgency and importance where I then backfill the values into
form fields for the actual values.  As far as I am aware web2py does not
have a range widget so this added another field and then wrote the value
back.

https://github.com/DonaldMcC/gdms/blob/master/views/answer/answer_question.js

this is loaded by answer_question.html in the same folder

Regards
Donald