It is probably clearer if you edit the code to read:

   else:
       response.flash = 'please fill out the form'

In other words, this section is used when the form is not posted to the
function, like when you first access it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/3b96281a-3e74-456d-891b-bf03d11112fb%40googlegroups.com.