It's been a while since I've been around but this seems to be an
important discussion that I'd like to weigh in on.

Massimo is right.  Most of Armin's critiques are thought-out design
decisions.  The perceived problems from just looking at the code don't
play out in reality due to being either a non-issue handled by some
other mechanism.

The issue of open file-handles is partly an issue and partly Armin
showing his ignorance of WSGI.  Any iterator passed back to a WSGI
server will be "closed" if it has a close methods and will be
appropriately deleted.  For all the other instances, yes, we should
close them.

I'm not going to weigh in on the ORM since I currently do not use it
(however, this might change with the new ORM coming out).

Fact is, I've used web2py for production purposes for more than a year
now and the only issues I've had with my setup were either my own code
or issues with python's broken socket library (which the included
wsgiserver uses).

As for the future of Python...I see cPython becoming what the vanilla
Linux kernel is today.  That is to say, it's sort of the base-line,
but no distribution uses just the vanilla kernel, but they all add
their own patches and customizations.  Pypy will likely bypass both
cPython and Jython in performance and flexibility within the next 2
years and popularity in the following 5.  Python developers will refer
to cPython more than end-users will actually use it.  Google will keep
using it since they're investing in Unladen-Swallow, but independent
projects will gear more towards Pypy compatibility due to it's
platform flexibility, speed and scalability.

That being said, Python 3.x will not be adopted as quickly as some
would hope.  Py3 support is barely on the radar for Pypy and Jython.
Frankly, even at Python3.1 it's still horribly broken for web-
development.  The Cherrypy and Werkzeug devs are building their own
versions of the cgi library.

Eventually, web2py will need to have some implementation on Python3,
but I don't see that as needed for at least 2 more years.  Python2 is
still going very strong.  It will be more than 2 years before Google
migrates.  They will likely be the driving force behind moving beyond
Py2.

Just my 2c

-tim