On Feb 8, 2010, at 12:59 AM, KONTRA, Gergely wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yes, I must admit it, that a validator like IS_UPPER(), which checks
> only whether the input is uppercase is less useful, than an another,
> which actually converts to uppercase.
>
> OTOH if you haven't used the function, you expect the former.

It might be appropriate to provide aliases for filter-only validators along the
lines of TO_UPPER(), change the docs, and deprecate IS_UPPER() on the grounds
of ambiguity. But I don't see a motivation for changing the semantics of
IS_UPPER(), since there's no real benefit to be had, and it would break a lot
of existing code.

Notice that some validators do both. That is, they validate their input, and
also transform it. This is one of those cases where it's advisable for a
developer to read the docs.