You can do this.
1) move web2py/*.py and  web2py/gluon somewhere in PYTHONPATH (/
somewhere)
3) create a /var/web2py/
4) create a /etc/web2py/
move applications and deposit under /var/web2py
move options_std.py under  /etc/web2py  and EDIT as follow:
"""
import socket
import os
ip = '127.0.0.1'
port = 8000
password = '<recycle>'  # ## <recycle> means use the previous
password
pid_filename = '/var/web2py/httpserver.pid'
log_filename = '/var/web2py/httpserver.log'
profiler_filename = None
ssl_certificate = ''  # ## path to certificate
file
ssl_private_key = ''  # ## path to private key
file
numthreads = 10
server_name = socket.gethostname()
request_queue_size = 5
timeout = 10
shutdown_timeout = 5
folder = os.getcwd()
extcron = None
nocron = None
"""

create a startup script somewhere that does:
"""
import os
import sys
### add gluon to sys.path and ...