hi,
I haven't commented this discussion but I've been reading it. I have
to tell you that you are bouncing way out of "the point" ironically
complaining that everyone else is talking about things other than the
elephant in the room.

It really doesn't matter Django (unless you bring something concrete
about it), it doesn't matter Massimo prior life or possible
alternatives into it, it doesn't matter disqus can reach 17,000
requests per second in a very specific context where caching is
allowed and the infrastructure used is absent nor if Lighthttpd can
handle 10,000 unknown type of requests in an unknown hardware. I make
stress testing for a living, and my reality ranges between 200 virtual
users being enough to turn a powerful cluster down and me looking for
more virtual machines to get enough virtual users to bring a simple
server down.

..you may have something to say but you are over-elaborating your
comments.

A bit of reality may help you understanding things outside the
enterprise corp.

No, web2py doesn't have many "Corporate backing independent of lead
developers",
No, web2py doesn't have proven scalability based on simple metrics,
No, web2py doesn't have the "largest projects".

What else doesn't web2py have?
It doesn't have a huge enterprise like Microsoft that owns the
software that runs in most machines from the booting process until the
office suite in all software layers.
It's not around for more than a decade, because even dotNet didn't
started from the ground when it comes to asp.net.
So it's more recent, it doesn't have the time of existence required
for things to happen.
It doesn't have other enterprises working with it and for it including
in Marketing and distribution.
Oh and It doesn't have a price tag that would be prohibitive for over
a half of the members of this group.

What does it have?
It's open source, you can use it, you can see how it works and change
it.
You can talk to main contributors and Massimo directly. The
(expensive) phone support of .Net doesn't give you that.
It doesn't depend on external tools other than web2py core itself. You
can run in on any webserver, you change it's DAL to SQLAlchemy, you
can run in Python, Jython, IronPython, code it with any editor with no
compromise or even with just a web browser.
It's open from its core with a transparent architecture that makes
web2py development more like plugging python power to some smart
helpers which you can manage with total flexibility. It's not a black
box where you throw modules for big tasks and you shall trust them in
every way (including security) so that you can make something useful
of it.
It's platform-independent. I run it on my Nokia N900, in my Mac, in my
Linux Machines or even Windows if I thought it was a good idea to use
it as a server.
It's free.

Now, to the "point":
Yes, there is no need to handle one request by thread but that's not
the strangulation point (yet). Storage is. A truly distributed, fault-
tolerant and scalable storage system that provides transactions and
consistency properties is in most times the point of strangulation.
Keeping the web2py way of doing things you could adopt solutions that
explored concurrency better. Check
http://www.slideshare.net/ezmobius/erlangfactory
for more about this. This is cloud computing without the buzz part.
It's possible to do this keeping the same MVC programming approach but
the architecture has to change a lot.

You don't have this on web2py (for now) neither on .Net . Speaking of
scalability on topics other than these two, storage and distributed/
concurrent task, will always be a minor talk.