I'm biased in that I don't do any GAE development, but even though it's
"only" 7MB, it seems like a big jump relative to the size of the current
code base. If you exclude the "examples" directory under applications, the
web2py source tree comes in at about 5 megs. I really like the lightweight
feel of the environment as it is. Is it worth more than doubling the size of
the core source tree to support a special deployment case?

Would it make more sense to have a "GAE deployment add-on" package that is
easy to download and install into contrib (maybe from admin)?

Out of curiosity, does anybody have a feel for what percentage of web2py
users deploy to GAE? Admittedly this number may go up significantly if an
easy integrated deployment option is available, but it would be worth
knowing how many people might benefit from this change.

Kevin