Using web2py's sample classes as a reference and a lot of code written
by Ozgur Vatansever I have written code to OAuth into LinkedIn (built
on gluon.contrib.login_methods.oauth10a_account)

This enables access to a contact's name, job title, photo & company as
well as details about their connections. It can also send messages to
their LinkedIn account.

Alas I find LinkedIn's account quite limiting as it's aimed at
enhancing the experience of LinkedIn users during their own sessions
and not for providing services when they are not logged in.

You're right that no access is given to any of the email addresses of
a user but LinkedIn are doing well to protect the value of the service
- and as I user I appreciate I can't be spammed.