I have followed what both the book and sample files say can be done in
routes.py:

default_application = 'try'
default_controller = 'default'
default_function = 'index'

This simply doesn't work.   Entering www.mydomain.com as the target
url in the browser routes to the welcome app not www.mydomain.com/try.

I believe these need to be put in a dict to work.

<rant>
So, NEVER show them outside of the dict--that approach apparently
doesn't work.  You can be sort of high-level and conceptual in the
text, but not in code samples.  Code samples actually need to work
exactly as provided, else why provide them?

Please make your examples less fragmentary and contradictory.  It is
very important to be complete and clear.  We don't understand every
intricacy of web2py and all of the syntactic variations you've chosen
to allow (sometimes with important functional differences; sometimes,
apparently, just to provide typing shortcuts).  That's why we are
relying on all of the information you provide.

This is a frequent problem in the writing style of the manual (not a
language issue--Massimo and many helpers express themselves perfectly
in English).   It is hard to write good documentation; but it makes a
product much more accessible.

...and I quote:

"""
...Explicit is better than implicit.
...Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
...There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do
it.
"""

</rant>