> I have followed what both the book and sample files say can be done in
> routes.py:
>
> default_application = 'try'
> default_controller = 'default'
> default_function = 'index'
>
> This simply doesn't work.   Entering www.mydomain.com as the target
> url in the browser routes to the welcome app not www.mydomain.com/try.
>
> I believe these need to be put in a dict to work.

No, they do not belong in a dict. I suspect you have either mixed the
parameter and pattern based systems (which the book says cannot be done),
or failed to reload routes (which the book says you must do when making
changes). If you mix the two systems, it will use the parameter-based
system (i.e., if routes.py includes a "routers" dict, it will use that) and
ignore any pattern-based items (such as the above). Also note that there
are example files for both the parameter-based and pattern-based systems.
The code for the above in the book is correct as shown, and matches the
sample code in the example file.

Anthony