Using maxtextlengths optional parameter partially helps.
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/07?search=maxtextlengths

I say partially because this param controls how many characters are
displayed in the column (Only those many characters are sent by the server)
If one has too many wide columns, result could be ugly, especially buttons
in last column are now shown vertically - depending on screen size etc.

I wish there was way to control the column width via web2py

-Mandar