I think that welcome app should be changed to a very simple hello
world type example.
Then welcome app become a project on its own, with latest stable
version always included in web2py distribution.
Welcome app would have its roadmap and milestones in parallel to
web2py but without strict synchronization.

Advantages would be:
 - a feature rich and easy cloneable welcome app, useful to start new
projects based on it by anyone and lighten the release of new web2py
framework versions;
- a better backward compatibility test, since welcome app is developed
at its own pace;
- separation of issues that would be addressed by the welcome app
project and by web2py;

The issues with presentation (css, html, js) are complex and distinct
from the core of the framework as it is now they add more issues to be
solved when a major release is on arrival.

Indeed in the long run, the welcome app could become more important
and popular than web2py framework.

What do you think?

mic