On Nov 3, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 08:34:21PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'd like to change the license terms for the contents of JavaScriptCore/wtf from LGPL to Apple modified BSD, except for the copy of Google's TCMalloc and the unicode/ directory. All the copyrights on files besides tcmalloc
and unicde are held by Apple and it looks like the only non-Apple
contributions are a handful of < 5 line build fixes which were too small for copyright. Mainly I'd like to apply this to RefPtr, Vector, and the
Hash-related classes.

I would like to do this to make the code usable by the widest possible
range of projects, including even proprietary code, and open source
projects with licenses that are not LGPL-compatible. This is basic data
structure code, and although it is highly optimized it is not really
specific to web browsing.

I wanted to run this proposed license change by the community. I know there have been some concerns about which code is BSD and which is LGPL. In this
case, I think maximum reusability is the right thing for this code.

I don't see what the problem is with LGPL. It's not GPL, you know, and
allows proprietary code to use it (under some conditions, though)

We'd like people to be able to fold these particular classes into their code without making a shared library or a relinkable object. I'm not even really sure what difference a shared library makes for code that is entirely implemented as template classes in headers. Effectively there is no ability to relink in such cases, since all the interesting code goes in the file that includes the header.

Anyway, I don't want to trigger a wide-ranging discussion about the pros and cons of different licenses. Mainly I'd like to hear if any major contributors would have a problem with this move.