Alp Toker wrote:
you have to build the whole of Qt just to get qmake, which takes over an
hour and almost a gigabyte of disk space for me. That's at least 5 times
as long as it takes to build the whole of JavaScriptCore, WebCore and
WebKit.

Just to set the record straight, it turned out my bad experience building Qt was with a debug build of a pre-release version from some months ago. I hear building the whole thing is not so difficult, and there is even a standalone qmake tarball available now.

My bad on that point. I think the rest of the discourse is still valid.