On Dec 20, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Marvin Decker wrote:

I think this would have to be done incrementally to keep the patches sane.

Sure, makes sense. But the total amount of change here isn't so great.

Is it okay if code has a bunch of extra DepString<->String conversions while this process is happening?

The code already has many; I'm not sure it's likely to get much worse.

The key to this question is *where* the extra conversions are. I don't want to make a blanket statement that this is OK -- I think it's pretty easy to do this in a way where there's no one step that introduces a ton of additional conversion.

    -- Darin