The notification is truly about the icon itself being ready, not the URL. And yes, it is dependent on the IconDatabase. Currently, if the IconDatabase is not enabled, we never download site icons.

If all you care about is the URL, you can grab it and start downloading the icon anytime after the <head> element is finished parsing.

~Brady