I think we agree on this point - its a matter of what did the website author
intend.  I believe there are legitimate cases to ask for setTimeout(1).
 With a pure clamp based approach, this feature is not available today.  On
the other hand, if the website author accidentally uses setTimeout(1), then
they'll see varying behavior on different browsers.
I'm sure most website authors are not aware that setTimeout(1) could mean 10
or 15ms.  The distinction here is quite subtle, and of course there is no
standard which indicates that it would be anything other than the timeout
requested.

As for keeping the fan off - if we could keep the CPU idle a 3ms minimum
timeout loop does that resolve your concern?
Mike